As part of the curriculum and for the development of pupils’ computing skills, William Murdoch Primary School is providing supervised access to the internet. We believe that effective use of the world wide web is worthwhile and is an essential skill for children as they grow up in the modern world.
Although there may be concerns about pupils having access to undesirable material, we have taken positive steps to reduce this risk in school. Our school internet provider, Link2ICT, operates a filtering system that restricts access to inappropriate websites and materials. However, this may not be the case at home and we provide references to information on safe internet access during each Parents’ Evening and upon request at any other time.
Whilst every endeavour is made to ensure that suitable restrictions are placed on the ability of children to access inappropriate material and websites, the school cannot be held responsible for the nature or content of materials accessed via the internet. The school will not be liable for any damages arising from your child’s use of the internet facilities.
The following rules help to keep everyone safe online:
- I will ask permission before using the internet.
- I will use only my own network login and password, which is secret.
- I will only look at or delete my own files.
- I understand that I must not bring software, disks or memory cards into school without permission.
- I will only e-mail people I know, or my teacher has approved.
- The messages I send will be polite and sensible.
- I understand that I must never give my home address or phone number, or arrange to meet someone.
- I will ask for permission before opening an e-mail or an e-mail attachment sent by someone I do not know.
- I will not use internet chatrooms or other forms of social media such as Facebook.
- If I see anything I am unhappy with or I receive messages I do not like, I will tell a teacher immediately.
- I understand that the school may check my computer files and the internet sites I visit.
- I understand that if I deliberately break these rules, I may not be allowed to use the internet or computers.